Lady Fingers/Okra Chips
Here is a healthy alternative to potato chips!
1½ cup okra, washed, towel dried & cut
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon rice flour
½ tablespoon chick pea flour (garbanzo bean flour or besan)
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1/5 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
Salt as per taste
1) Wash and dry okra with a towel, cut away the top stem and a little of the end. Then slit okra into half lengthwise and then into another half to make finger length pieces.
2) Transfer cut okra into a bowl, pour in oil, and gently toss so that pieces are covered with oil.
3) Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat okra evenly.
4) Transfer to a flat microwave oven safe dish (you can use the cleaned microwave glass oven plate directly too) and spread out okra pieces evenly.
5) Place it in the microwave oven on high heat for 6 minutes, and check if okra pieces have turned crispy. If they feel soft, place it for 30 seconds and check. Repeat until the batch is crispy. (This is due to the different power levels of microwave ovens, so your timing may vary)
6) Let it stand for 1 minute after it’s done and chips are ready to be relished
Please refer to pictures below to guide you:
Towel dry the okra
Cut okra into finger length pieces, slit to expose seeds lengthwise
After tossing all ingredients with okra pieces, notice the coat of the flour
BEFORE: Evenly spread okra pieces in a flat microwave oven safe dish
AFTER: crispy okra! They shrink quite a bit in size.